Monday 23 July 2012

Khatsalano Festival Music Review!

This past weekend in my neighbourhood of Kitsilano in Vancouver, BC there was a large music and arts festival featuring tons of local bands. I tried to see as many bands as possible but West 4th is a long street and whenever I heard a great band, I generally stopped to listen to their entire set and missed whatever else was going on at that time. So here is my review of the bands I did manage to see! (Only the ones I liked because I don't want to criticize any of these up-and-comers.) These are all local Vancouver bands of all different genres. Can I just start by saying that there is way more talent in this city than I thought. Sorry Vancouver, I underestimated you.

The Ballantynes
Sounds Like: Fitz and the Tantrums
I just have to start by saying that you guys blew me away. Of all the bands I watched, yours was the only that I was prepared to buy the CD for right there on the spot. So why no CD?? I'll find it- don't you worry. I will also be at your next show in Vancouver. You were a ton of fun to watch, had the whole crowd dancing and I heard nothing but positive reviews as I was heading to your non-existent merch table. I love your sound- keep it up.
Check out two tracks, Misery  and Stay from The Ballantynes here.

The Courtneys
Sounds Like: The Donnas, The Runaways, Veruca Salt
All girl garage rock band!! I loved it. I especially loved that your drummer was the lead singer. Even though you were loud and distorted, I could still hear the lyrics which was unexpected and awesome. The lyrics were awesome too. Keep it up ladies, I'd go to your concert.
Check out 4 track from The Courtneys here.

41st and Home
Sounds Like: Fleet Foxes, The Decemberists
How old are you guys?? You look too young to be making music that awesome. You were fantastic. Probably the biggest crowd I saw at that stage all day. Great harmonies. Great mixture of instruments (keyboard, violin, guitar, bass, drums). The music market is prime for your sound right now. If I had a record label, I would sign you.
Here is their first video for their song Gorbachev. (Okay, seriously? The Berlin Wall was torn down the year  I was born. How did you manage to write such a great song about something you weren't even alive for?!)


Headwater
Sounds Like: Mixture of Great Big Sea and The Eagles (best way I can describe it)
I really dig you guys. You've got a great sound, great stage presence and I really love that you have a slide guitar. But what was with cutting off that song right in the middle?? That was not so chic. I was really enjoying that song too. I get that the lead singer couldn't hear himself very well but he was hitting all the notes regardless (which is impressive considering he couldn't hear himself). You should have just stuck it out. That was an awkward moment. I loved the rest of it though!
Here's a bunch of songs from Headwater. Vote for them in the Peak Performance Project if you dig it.

Bend Sinister
Sounds Like: Wolfmother and a little Supertramp.
Alright, I chose you guys over The Zolas who were playing at the other end of the festival at the same time. You guys won because you were playing on my street and also because it was hot and I didn't want to walk all the way down 4th for the 20th time that day. And I have to say I am so glad I chose you! You blew me away. Up until this point I thought your name was Ben Sinister and had a totally different impression of you based on that one song that plays on the radio (Things Will Get Better). If you are from Vancouver and know what I'm talking about, these guys are not what they seem. Your lead singer is straight up phenomenal. Very few men can hit those notes and you, sir, blew them right out of the water. Thanks for that. You really ended that day with a bang. And, hey, guitar player... call me.
Here's Julianna by Bend Sinister:


No comments:

Post a Comment